With apologies to Peter King of Sports Il;ustrated for the title of my post here are some interesting NBA tidbits.
Adjusted +/- numbers are certainly not completely reliable at this points in season but they still point out “which way the wind is blowing” so far in the young NBA season.
- Devin Harris +42 and Millsap +40 have keyed their teams’ surprisingly strong starts. All last season Jazz performed better with Millsap on court than Boozer so the latter is no surprise.
- Biedrins +30 and Bellinelli +28 are the unsung heroes in the surprising starts of the Warriors and Hornets.
- Young players Beasley (+22), Holiday (+21), Augustin +15 and Gibson +25 have made key breakthroughs.
- The Rockets were horrible with Yao on the court (Adjusted +/- of -25),
- Lamar Odom (+16) and Pau Gasol (+15) have keyed the Lakers more than Kobe.
- Pau is not the best Gasol; Marc Gasol has adjusted +/- of +24 due to to his amazing defense.
- Joel Anthony (-12 Adjusted +/- and very poor impact) has hurt the Heat.
- Ilyasova +32 has been amazing for the Bucks and it is great to see that Andrew Bogut (+17) has not missed a beat after his horrific injury last season.
- Serge Ibaka +17 has played well for Thunder, but with Durant on the court the Thunder’s defense has been very poor.
- Rookie Gordon Hayward (-45 Adjusted +/-) is off to a poor start.
- A healthy Mike Dunleavy (+28) has keyed the Pacers’ improved play.
- Frye’s (-13) poor play has really hurt the Suns.
- Mcgee (-20) has really hurt the Wizards.
- Rashard Lewis (-17) has yet to find his stride for the Magic.
- Baron Davis (-14) has played poorly for the Clippers.